* Hi Everyone! I want to share a little bit about myself, and my story as a wedding and event planner. When I was very young, I watched, along with the rest of the world, Lady Diana Spencer marry Prince Charles. It was elegant, romantic, and glamorous. That was all it took. I was fascinated with weddings. Like many other little girls, I designed weddings for my Barbie and Ken dolls. Skipper was the bridesmaid many times over. But they always looked fabulous! I would take the bridal gown catalogs from JCPenney’s and cut out the photos of the models. Then I would match the bridal gowns and bridesmaids dresses according to similar design details, like bishop sleeves or a sweetheart neckline. As I grew into my teenage years, I began poring over every latest bridal magazine, tearing out the mail in cards to send away for wedding invitation samples, and other freebies. I loved to keep track of the latest wedding trends, and answers to the etiquette questions. I wanted to be able to do everything just right when the time came for me to plan my own wedding.
When that day came, after my fiance’ (now husband) and I announced our engagement to our families, I ran right out to purchase a wedding planner book, and began my research for wedding venues and vendors. I must have checked out every book on wedding planning, floral design, crafts, and etiquette in my local library. I was so excited! I enlisted my mother’s help in planning, as she is an incredible woman, and the most organized person I know. She also has awesome research, bargain hunting and negotiating skills. which made planning a wedding a lot easier. She passed those skills on to me, which I in turn share with my clients.
It wasn’t until the day of my wedding, that I fully understood the importance of having a support system in place to help keep the day moving along smoothly. My mother enlisted a few of our family and friends to help with the needs of our wedding party, to move items from the church to our reception venue, or to remind us to just breathe. I watched my mother rushing around during my wedding day, checking on details, making sure vendors were completing their tasks, etc. I saw that she was so busy, and while she was in her element as an efficient organizer, she wasn’t really smiling often and enjoying the day, as the mother of the bride should have been. That didn’t sit well with me. I love my mom, and truly appreciate everything she did for our wedding, to make sure it was perfect, and that my husband and I had the happiest day. It was a truly beautiful day, one that family and friends still talk about. But I thought, after it was all over, that I could help other couples and their families, to make sure that their own weddings went smoothly, and that everyone could relax and enjoy the day. That is when I decided to offer my planning and coordination services.
I believe in love, for all people, and that everyone should have a fairy tale celebration!
Kimberly is the Principal Consultant of Love, Laughter & Elegance
* Experience: Over 20 years of successful wedding & special event planning and production. Has presented wedding planning workshops at local libraries. Has been a Community Leader for the Wedding and Event Professionals Message Board and Chat on IVillage.com from May 2002 to June 2008, and as a Community Leader for the Kids’ Parties and Baby Showers Message Board from April to June in 2005. Has coordinated several wedding ceremonies and vow renewals at The Chapel in the Moonlight, as part of Akron’s First Night Celebrations, 2006-2008. Currently acting as an administrator of, and participating in, several wedding and event related message boards on Facebook. Has also written and been featured in several publications, both in print and online.
* Philosophy: “Excellent service demands passion, dedication, and attention to every little detail.”
* Primary focus: Creating the most memorable occasions, with style, elegance, and flair.
* Hobbies: Spending quality time with my family and friends, reading, music, and arts and crafts.