Are you planning to watch the Oscars on Sunday night? Why not have a few friends over to join in the fun! It’s not too late to have a fabulous party! Here’s a few how-tos…
Decide on the Timeframe for Your Oscars Party
For a Preview Oscars Party
- Begin your party at 5 or 6 p.m. and end at 8 p.m., sending your guests home in time for the actual award ceremony. If you are an avid Oscar fan, this is probably the best plan for you. You’ll have had fun with your guests, but will be able to enjoy the show in peace and quiet!
For an Oscars Viewing Party
- Begin your party at 7:30 or 8:00 p.m. and end the party when the award show is over, which can be late!
However you choose to invite your guests to your Oscars party, encourage them to glam it up! Gowns, glitter and boas for the women, and black tie suggested for the men! When else will you be able to dress up like this on a Sunday night!
- “Reel” Movie Film Tins – from take1.com (pictured at top) you’ll find tins in 6 sizes with prices beginning at $3.99 each. Write your invitation on a circular piece of paper cut to lay flat inside the tin. Gold and silver metallic confetti would be a fun touch!
- Clapboard Invitations - order an adorable die cut two piece invitation from Paper Style depicting a movie “clapboard” attached with a black and white checked ribbon. (paperstyle.com, $18.50/10)
- “You’re a Star” – this clever and unique box invite features a bowing gentleman figurine in front of a glittering silver star! Party details go inside of the box lid! (plumparty.com, $34/8)
- Movie Film Invite – this is another cute variation on our first recommendation! Inside of individual film tins you’ll find 1 yard of yellow film that can be personalized with your party particulars. (plumparty.com, $24/set of 5)
Here’s a list of general things you can do to set the stage for your party:
- Buy, rent, or make a red carpet out of fabric or carpet remnants to welcome your guests at the door.
- Before the big show begins, play the soundtrack from your favorite Oscar winning movie in the background.
- Pretend that you’re one of the paparazzi and snap instant photos of your guests as they arrive at the party. Put them into cardboard frames that have been decorated with stars and give them as party favors.
- Decorate with large silver and gold star cutouts, either purchased or homemade.
- Use black, gold and/or silver tablecloths and napkins.
- Decorate your table with star confetti and glitter.
- Dangle unwound rolls of film from your ceiling.
- Don’t plan a sit down dinner. You need food that can be eaten in front of the television balanced on plates.
- Prepare an Academy Awards trivia game to play with your friends during the commercials. Award prizes at the end of the evening for highest and lowest scores.
- Hand out ballots before the ceremonies begin. After tallying all the scores at the end, hand out awards for most and least correct picks.
- Check out the official award website, oscars.org for the full listing of winners and nominees along with history and trivia.
Make Ahead Appetizers
- Sugared Crockpot Nuts
This is a great nibble that everyone loves.
- Crab Spread
Any kind of seafood appetizer is an indulgent treat. Serve this spread with water crackers and Crostini.
- Orange Mint Slush
This is a refreshing, sweet, and cool punch that kids and grownups love.
- Mini Bacon Pinwheels
Go ahead and freeze these savory and crisp appetizers and bake them from the frozen state tomorrow.
- Brie with Cherry Chutney
This beautiful appetizer will be a huge hit with your guests. Make the chutney today and then heat the Brie and assemble the appetizer just before your guests arrive.
- Pesto Torte
Here’s another gorgeous appetizer that feeds a crowd.
- Devils on Horseback
Assemble these delicious bites today, then broil them as your guests start to arrive.
- Gingery Fruit Dip
Serve this excellent dip with the best fresh fruits you can find in the market.
- Roasted Corn and Lobster Dip
Assemble this recipe today, then bake it as your guests arrive.
- Blender Pots de Creme
Make two of these creamy little desserts per person just in case!
- Old Fashioned Chocolate Dessert
This super easy dessert recipe will feed a crowd – make two!
Oscars Hostess Gifts
Some nice ideas for your Oscar Party hostess include:
- Cocktail Table Books – Lovely cocktail table books like The Academy Awards: The Complete Unofficial History or Four-Star Movies: The 101 Greatest Films of All Time.
- DVDs - A DVD of a former Oscar winning film.
- CDs – A CD such as Twenty Years of Oscar Winning Original Songs or the sound track to one of the nominated movies, see amazon.com.
Oscars Party Favors
- CDs - Burn CDs featuring your favorite award winning songs! At dancemetonight.com, you’ll find a complete listing of songs that will definitely bring back some great memories: “Let the River Run” from Working Girl, “Take My Breath Away” from Top Gun, and “Moon River” from Breakfast at Tiffany’s to name just a few!
- Framed Photos of Your Guests – If you do take photos as the couples arrive, frames will make a fun favor! An acrylic movie “clapboard” photo frame is perfect. (take1.com, $6.99)
- Candy Filled Movie Tins – “Reel” Movie Film Tins, suggested above for invitations, can also be filled with gold and silver wrapped candies!
- Splits of Champagne – For a quick and easy favor, wrap splits of champagne in cellophane bags. Tie with metallic star trim.
Some easy Oscars party dessert ideas include:
- Champagne flutes filled with chocolate mousse
- Star shaped cookies, decorated with icing and little silver candy beads
- Bowls of chocolate truffles
Use your imagination, have fun, and we’ll see you at the movies!!!