I am currently enamored of Cherry Blossoms. They are so delicate, in form and color. You can accent the blossoms with blues, whites, pinks, greens, and chocolate browns. The results are stunning. I did not want to go overboard with an Asian theme. Rather, I wanted to show how certain elements of a wedding, like a cake, invitations, and decor can enhance the mood, without being overwhelming. The same rule applies for the bridal gown and attendants’ dresses. The bridal gown has several soft layers, much like the way petals fold on a blossom. The attendants’ dresses are feminine and floaty. They appear much like flowers themselves. The overall effect is one of beauty, grace, and elegance on a warm spring day. Enjoy!
I found this article on Successful Meetings website: http://www.mimegasite.com/mimegasite/index.jsp
DESTINATION: Ohio’s Sweet Escape
Every March, Malabar Farm State Park in Mansfield, OH, offers a free Maple Syrup Festival. This year, groups can learn the history of Ohio syrup making on March 1-2 and 8-9, from 12-4:00 p.m. daily. A self-guided tour of the sugar camp and sugarhouse reveals the evolution of sugaring equipment and how maple sap is transformed into maple syrup. Visitors will explore the summer bell house, behind the Pugh Log Cabin, which is set up as an authentic pioneer cabin. Guests will also enjoy horse-drawn wagon rides to the sugar camp, provided by the Central Ohio Draft Horse Association. Malabar Farm State Park, which is a short drive from Columbus, Akron, and Cleveland, is the former home of novelist and conservationist Louis Bromfield, whose progressive conservation practices predated today’s sustainability practices. The tour will appeal to history buffs and “slow-food” culinary enthusiasts.
This sounds like a fun event, and one that could inspire you to use the venue for other events. Enjoy!
Are you planning to watch the Oscars on Sunday night? Why not have a few friends over to join in the fun! It’s not too late to have a fabulous party! Here’s a few how-tos…
Decide on the Timeframe for Your Oscars Party
For a Preview Oscars Party
- Begin your party at 5 or 6 p.m. and end at 8 p.m., sending your guests home in time for the actual award ceremony. If you are an avid Oscar fan, this is probably the best plan for you. You’ll have had fun with your guests, but will be able to enjoy the show in peace and quiet!
For an Oscars Viewing Party
- Begin your party at 7:30 or 8:00 p.m. and end the party when the award show is over, which can be late!
However you choose to invite your guests to your Oscars party, encourage them to glam it up! Gowns, glitter and boas for the women, and black tie suggested for the men! When else will you be able to dress up like this on a Sunday night!
- “Reel” Movie Film Tins – from take1.com (pictured at top) you’ll find tins in 6 sizes with prices beginning at $3.99 each. Write your invitation on a circular piece of paper cut to lay flat inside the tin. Gold and silver metallic confetti would be a fun touch!
- Clapboard Invitations - order an adorable die cut two piece invitation from Paper Style depicting a movie “clapboard” attached with a black and white checked ribbon. (paperstyle.com, $18.50/10)
- “You’re a Star” – this clever and unique box invite features a bowing gentleman figurine in front of a glittering silver star! Party details go inside of the box lid! (plumparty.com, $34/8)
- Movie Film Invite – this is another cute variation on our first recommendation! Inside of individual film tins you’ll find 1 yard of yellow film that can be personalized with your party particulars. (plumparty.com, $24/set of 5)
Here’s a list of general things you can do to set the stage for your party:
- Buy, rent, or make a red carpet out of fabric or carpet remnants to welcome your guests at the door.
- Before the big show begins, play the soundtrack from your favorite Oscar winning movie in the background.
- Pretend that you’re one of the paparazzi and snap instant photos of your guests as they arrive at the party. Put them into cardboard frames that have been decorated with stars and give them as party favors.
- Decorate with large silver and gold star cutouts, either purchased or homemade.
- Use black, gold and/or silver tablecloths and napkins.
- Decorate your table with star confetti and glitter.
- Dangle unwound rolls of film from your ceiling.
- Don’t plan a sit down dinner. You need food that can be eaten in front of the television balanced on plates.
- Prepare an Academy Awards trivia game to play with your friends during the commercials. Award prizes at the end of the evening for highest and lowest scores.
- Hand out ballots before the ceremonies begin. After tallying all the scores at the end, hand out awards for most and least correct picks.
- Check out the official award website, oscars.org for the full listing of winners and nominees along with history and trivia.
Make Ahead Appetizers
- Sugared Crockpot Nuts
This is a great nibble that everyone loves.
- Crab Spread
Any kind of seafood appetizer is an indulgent treat. Serve this spread with water crackers and Crostini.
- Orange Mint Slush
This is a refreshing, sweet, and cool punch that kids and grownups love.
- Mini Bacon Pinwheels
Go ahead and freeze these savory and crisp appetizers and bake them from the frozen state tomorrow.
- Brie with Cherry Chutney
This beautiful appetizer will be a huge hit with your guests. Make the chutney today and then heat the Brie and assemble the appetizer just before your guests arrive.
- Pesto Torte
Here’s another gorgeous appetizer that feeds a crowd.
- Devils on Horseback
Assemble these delicious bites today, then broil them as your guests start to arrive.
- Gingery Fruit Dip
Serve this excellent dip with the best fresh fruits you can find in the market.
- Roasted Corn and Lobster Dip
Assemble this recipe today, then bake it as your guests arrive.
- Blender Pots de Creme
Make two of these creamy little desserts per person just in case!
- Old Fashioned Chocolate Dessert
This super easy dessert recipe will feed a crowd – make two!
Oscars Hostess Gifts
Some nice ideas for your Oscar Party hostess include:
- Cocktail Table Books – Lovely cocktail table books like The Academy Awards: The Complete Unofficial History or Four-Star Movies: The 101 Greatest Films of All Time.
- DVDs - A DVD of a former Oscar winning film.
- CDs – A CD such as Twenty Years of Oscar Winning Original Songs or the sound track to one of the nominated movies, see amazon.com.
Oscars Party Favors
- CDs - Burn CDs featuring your favorite award winning songs! At dancemetonight.com, you’ll find a complete listing of songs that will definitely bring back some great memories: “Let the River Run” from Working Girl, “Take My Breath Away” from Top Gun, and “Moon River” from Breakfast at Tiffany’s to name just a few!
- Framed Photos of Your Guests – If you do take photos as the couples arrive, frames will make a fun favor! An acrylic movie “clapboard” photo frame is perfect. (take1.com, $6.99)
- Candy Filled Movie Tins – “Reel” Movie Film Tins, suggested above for invitations, can also be filled with gold and silver wrapped candies!
- Splits of Champagne – For a quick and easy favor, wrap splits of champagne in cellophane bags. Tie with metallic star trim.
Some easy Oscars party dessert ideas include:
- Champagne flutes filled with chocolate mousse
- Star shaped cookies, decorated with icing and little silver candy beads
- Bowls of chocolate truffles
Use your imagination, have fun, and we’ll see you at the movies!!!
Did you get engaged on Valentine’s Day?
Can’t wait to get started planning your wedding?
Check out our Lovers’ Special:
* Complimentary Consultation
* Romantic Gift Basket for Two
* Complimentary Engagement Announcement on our Blog
* 20% Discount on any Package or Combination of Services
Contact us today for more information!
This story was posted on BizBash New York. I love the lush displays of orchids! I am inspired to try something similar for my next event. We’ll see!!
|More Inspiring Orchid Dinner Tabletops|
|With so many settings to explore, we had to share more unique ideas from the New York Botanical Garden’s Orchid Dinner. Here are 10 additional tables to check out.|
Photo and Story Source: (http://www.bizbash.com/newyork/content/editorial/e9869.php)
Chocolate and Pink have been hot colors for weddings for some time now. I paired them together in this board with a polka dot motif, and let my imagination run wild! It’s a classically cute and fun theme. This design scheme will work well for any event, not just weddings. You could use this for a birthday, bridal shower, Mother’s Day Luncheon, or a graduation brunch. Enjoy!!
I was browsing around on www.etsy.com, and saw these adorable invitations, that go so well with this board and the theme. The designer is SlyFox Designs. Check them out!
This story was posted on WKYC Channel 3’s website in Cleveland. Several couples were married on Thursday by Pastor Mark Bernard, a wonderful Pastor from Austintown, Ohio, that I have had the pleasure of working with. What a fun experience this must have been, both for Pastor Bernard, and the couples getting married!! The story follows below:
Couples get married during hockey game!
Reverend Mark Bernard of Austintown said the couples had to say “I do” and he had to hear each person say the words in order to comply with Ohio law. He also had to sign the wedding certificates.
Though some say getting married is unusual, it is legal and was celebrated by all who witnessed the blessed event.
Story and Photo Source: (www.wkyc.com)
Website for Pastor Mark Bernard: http://www.weddinguy.com/
But the only day of the year you can get married there is Valentine’s Day. And this year Brides.com sponsored a contest in which 14 couples would be chosen for a dream “wedding in the clouds.”
So without telling her fiance, Ughrin entered the contest – and the couple won.
Today Ughrin and Mostoller exchanged vows atop the Empire State Building as 15 family members and friends looked on.
Turns out it was Mostoller’s first visit to the New York City.
“It’s just unbelievable,” the groom said shortly after the wedding. “It’s now one of my favorite cities in the world as well.”
The couple plans to have a reception in Cleveland for family and friends who couldn’t make it to New York City.
Happy Valentine’s Day! There will be tons of dinners taking place all over the world tonight, most over candlelight and great food. Some will end with sweet desserts, some will end with a serenade or a dance, some will even end with a marriage proposal.
(Be sure to call me when that happens, I’d love to hear all about it!!)
Here are some great inspirations and resources for your Romantic Meal.